-

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Cliche, I know. I just have to say that I am so tired of watching my local television station and seeing clip after clip of "victims" of Hurricane Ike. All of them whining about what the government is not doing for them and what is not being done fast enough. Those who the day after the storm hit are complaining about not having food or gas. Hello? We don't live in a vacuum. These people have been told over and over that they need at least 3 days' worth of food in order to prepare for the hurricane. That their gas tanks need to be full. That a monster storm is about to hit and knock our communities on their tails. I just don't understand a group of people who can't take responsibility for their situation and expect the government to come in and take care of their every need and did I mention they want it NOW?!

I am not a victim of Hurricane Ike. I am living in Ike's aftermath. I am living in those pictures they show on national television that seem so surreal. But I am not a victim. I am a survivor.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Preach it, sista'!!!

Yes there are *some* true victims out there. But by and large, it's just that - an appalling lack of personal responsibility. Get over the pity party, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and go help a neighbor. Isn't how this country was founded, anyway?

/rant :-)

Amanda said...

True, Karen, there are plenty of true victims, but oddly enough they aren't the ones whining on television...

Anonymous said...

I can't stand it when people whine about what the government isn't doing for them. Those are the people that when the government steps in and it isn't what they want, they'd be the first ones complaining again. Can't ever make them happy.